SubjectRe: clock_gettime_ns
From
On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 2:18 AM, Arun Sharma <asharma@fb.com> wrote:
> A couple of years ago Andy posted this patch series:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1233209/
>
> These patches have been in use at facebook for a couple of years and along
> with a vDSO implementation of thread_cpu_time(), they have proven useful for
> our profilers.
>
> I didn't see any arguments against this patch series. Did I miss some
> discussion on the topic?

(I've got a new email address, just fyi)

So, looking at the thread, I think Richard brought up the issue that
the net performance gain with the new interface wasn't significant
after the optimizations were applied to both interfaces.

If we're going to add a new interface that uses something other then a
timespec, we likely need to put some serious thought into that new
type, and see how it could be used across a number of syscalls. Some
of the discussion around dealing with the 2038 issue touched on this.

But getting those optimizations to the existing interface merged would
be nice, though. Anyone want to resend the patch?

thanks
-john

  Last update: 2013-09-04 22:21    [W:0.100 / U:2.392 seconds]