SubjectRe: [Intel-gfx] BUG: sleeping function called from invalid context on 3.10.10-rt7
On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 06:32:10AM +0200, Mario Kleiner wrote:
> On 23.09.13 10:38, Ville Syrjälä wrote:

> >> Ok, so register access must be serialized, at least within a register
> >> block, no way around it. Thanks for explaining this. That makes me a bit
> >> depressed. Is this also true for older hw generations than gen6?
> >>
> >> Daniel, could we move access to the display register block to a separate
> >> lock, so the I915_READ to PIPEDSL in i915_get_crtc_scanoutpos() can
> >> avoid the uncore.lock? If the display registers don't need forcewake
> >> then i assume we could have much shorter lock hold times by avoiding the
> >> large up to 4 msecs waits in forcewake handling. Probably also much less
> >> contention in normal operation when no modesetting happens? I think i
> >> can get rid of the other register reads in that function. Those settings
> >> are already cached and accessible from the intel_crtc_config->adjusted_mode.
> >
> > I actually have a patch to kill most of the registers reads in
> > get_scanout_position on i915 somewhere. Let me dig that out and send it
> > to the list...
> >
> > <snip>
> >> In any case, maybe the simple retry 3x loop in the DRM for measuring the
> >> timestamp is not good enough anymore to keep this reliable and accurate.
> >> Maybe we would need some loop that retries until an accurate measurement
> >> or a user configurable timeout is reached. Then users like mine could
> >> set a very high timeout which rather totally degrades the system and
> >> causes severe stuttering of graphics updates than silently failing with
> >> inaccurate timestamps. The default could be something safe for normal
> >> desktop use.
> >
> > I never really understood the need for the preempt disabled retry loop in
> > drm core. What I would do is just something like this:
> >
> > get_scanoutpos_and_timestamp()
> > {
> > local_irq_disable();
> > get_scanoutpos();
> > get_timestamp();
> > local_irq_enable();
> > }
>
> The preempt_disable serves the same purpose for PREEMPT_RT kernels as
> your local_irq_disable in your example - get rid of any preventable
> interruption, so a retry is unlikely to be ever needed. At least that
> was the idea.
>
> I assume if a spin_lock_irqsave doesn't really disable interrupts on a
> RT kernel with normal spinlocks then local_irq_disable won't really
> disable interrupts either?
>

> > If that has a lot of error, then it seems to me that the system is just
> > crap and we shouldn't care. Or if you're really worried about SMIs and
> > such then you could still do a retry loop.
> >

> I didn't expect a lot of error with preemption and interrupts disabled,
> essentially only such infrequent things as smi's, that's why the retry
> loop only tries 3x max, once for real, once in case the 1st one got
> spoiled by a smi or such, and once because three times a charm ;-) - In
> practice i didn't ever observe more than 3-4 usecs of delay, well below
> [...]

The preempt_disable/enable is not needed. The spinlock serves the same
purpose already.

As far as ktime_get(), I've used it from spinlocked/irq disabled sections
and so far haven't seen it do bad things. But would be nice to get some
official statement to that effect.

To minimize the chance of breakage, I guess we could add a new func
->get_scanout_pos_and_time or something like that, fill it by default
with the code from the current drm_calc_vbltimestamp_from_scanoutpos().

Or we could just shovel the delta_ns handling from
drm_calc_vbltimestamp_from_scanoutpos() into some small helper function
that we could call from i915_get_vblank_timestamp(), and then we can
call i915_get_crtc_scanoutpos() directly from there as well.

--
Ville Syrjälä
Intel OTC