SubjectWould an "information module" be useful?
Date
Hello,

I became interested in an use case where I want to pass customised data from the
boot command-line to other user processes. I have read the available
documentation in the way that kernel modules provide such a means to get
additional parameters recorded.

I have got the understanding that a kernel module provides also a name space for
such boot parameters. (Are they also called "attributes" there?)
Now I would be interested to create a module for my needs so that the passed
data will be stored in the sys file system. Which software component is
responsible for this task?

I find that another implementation detail needs more clarification. The modules
usually drive some hardware.
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/sysfs.txt

But I am looking for a kind of kernel module which does not serve any hardware.
I imagine that it should be sufficient to register it as a simple information sink.

How do you think about my considerations?
Would you like to share any alternative ideas?

Regards,
Markus

  Last update: 2013-09-22 19:41    [W:0.041 / U:3.376 seconds]