SubjectRe: [BUG] completely bonkers use of set_need_resched + VM_FAULT_NOPAGE
On 09/12/2013 10:39 PM, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

>>> And the only answer you folks came up with is set_need_resched() and
>>> yield()? Oh well....
>> The yield was for a different lifelock, and that one is also fixed by
>> now. The fault handler deadlock was fixed in the usual "drop locks and
>> jump into slowpath" fasion, at least in drm/i915.
> So we can remove that whole yield/set_need_resched() mess completely ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> tglx
No.

The while(trylock) is there to address a potential locking inversion
deadlock. If the trylock fails, the code returns to user-space which
retries the fault. This code needs to stay until we can come up with
either a way to drop the mmap_sem and sleep before returning to
user-space, or a bunch of code is fixed with a different locking order.

The set_need_resched() can (and should according to Peter) go.

/Thomas

  Last update: 2013-09-12 23:01    [W:0.097 / U:0.028 seconds]