SubjectRe: [RFC] Restrict kernel spawning of threads to a specified set of cpus.
On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 02:52:56PM +0000, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> > > Ok but at that point kthread has already spawned a lot of kernel threads.
> > >
> > > The same is true for init and kmod.
> > >

> > Ok but then we just need to set the affinity of all these kthreads.
> > A simple lookup on /proc/[0-9]+/ should do the trick.
>
> Yea but the kernel option makes it easy. No extras needed. Kernel brings
> it up user space cleanly configured and ready to go.

Ok but really that's just two lines of bash. I really wish we don't complicate
core kernel code for that.

I think we all agree that the big issue here is that CPU isolation requires to set up
a fragmented set of features and it's not at all obvious to do it correctly: full dynticks,
rcu nocbs, kthreads affinity, timer_list, hrtimers, workqueues, IPIs, etc...

So IMHO what is missing is a reliable userspace tool that can handle all that: do
the checks on pre-requirements, handle the kthreads and even user task affinity, tweak
some sysctl stuffs to turn off features that generate noise, etc...

> This also allows us to cleanup kernel uses of cpumasks in such a way that
> proper thread placement for various other uses (reclaim f.e. kswpad) is
> possible.

Same here, a central tool should be able to solve that.

  Last update: 2013-09-12 17:41    [W:0.195 / U:0.088 seconds]