SubjectRe: [git pull] drm tree for 3.12-rc1
From
[ Dave - your linux.ie email generates bounces for me, trying redhat instead ]

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 11:25 PM, Sean V Kelley <sean.v.kelley@intel.com> wrote:

>> I'm also a bit bummed that hw acceleration of video doesn't seem to
>> work on Haswell, meaning that full-screen is now a jerky mess. I fear
>> that that is user-space libraries/X.org, but I thought I'd mention it
>> in the hope of getting a "oh, it's working for us, you'll get a fix
>> for it soon".
>
> Can you give a little more detail about video not working? Video
> accel should work fine with the current versions of libva/intel-driver
> available in Fedora 19 - assuming that's what you're using.

It is indeed F19.

Easy test: go to youtube, and watch things that are in 1080p HD. They
play fine in a window (using about 70% CPU), but full-screened to
2560x1440 they play at about one or two frames per second.

Non-HD content seems to be fine even full-screen. Either just because
it's so much easier to do, or because some level of scaling is
hw-accelerated.

It may well be that I'm using chrome (and chrome seems to tend to use
its own library versions), and firefox indeed seems to be a bit
better. But by "a bit better" I mean closer to full frame rate in
full-screen, but lots of tearing - and it was stil using 70% CPU when
displaying in a window. So I think firefox is also still doing
everything in software but may be better about using threads for it.

My previous i5-670 which was inferior in almost every other way didn't
have these problems.. It had the same 2560x1440 display.

Linus

  Last update: 2013-09-10 18:21    [W:7.730 / U:0.044 seconds]