SubjectRe: [edk2] Corrupted EFI region

On Aug 5, 2013, at 7:40 AM, Borislav Petkov <bp@alien8.de> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 04:27:44PM +0200, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
>> I wouldn't call the design of SetVirtualAddressMap() braindead.
>
> Ok, I've always wondered and you could probably shed some light on the
> matter: why is SetVirtualAddressMap() a call-once only? Why can't I
> simply call it again and update the mappings?
>
>> I'd rather call kexec unique and somewhat unexpected :)
>
> In all fairness, it was there before UEFI, AFAICT.

AFAICT EFI pre-dates kexec merge into mainline by a number of years as SetVirtualaddressMap() was part of EFI 1.0 (previous millennium)

The EFI to UEFI conversion was placing EFI 1.10 into an industry standard, UEFI 2.0. UEFI is an industry standard so some one just needs to make a proposal to update the spec. The edk2 open source project is not part of the standards body so complaining on this mailing list is not going to get anything changed.

The conversion of C code to run from address A to address B is a non trivial operation, and a single conversion is bad enough. The infrastructure code required to do the conversion from physical to virtual addressing currently only runs from physical mode, so a call to change virtual address mappings from virtual mode is more complex than the current scheme.
In general you don't want complexity in the locked NOR FLASH of the platform that can only be updated by the platform vendor. Even if the platform firmware is easy to update you want to have complexity in the OS as it is easier to change and easier to get right.

Thanks,

Andrew Fish