SubjectRe: RFC: vfio-pci API for PCI bus/slot (hot) resets
On Fri, 2013-08-02 at 15:10 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-08-01 at 16:18 -0600, Alex Williamson wrote:
> > vfio-pci needs to support an interface to do hot resets (PCI parent
> > bridge secondary bus reset). We need this to support reset of
> > co-assigned devices where one or more of the devices does not support
> > function level reset. In particular, discrete graphics cards typically
> > have no reset options other than doing a link reset.
>
> Link reset != hot reset but yeah I see your point. There is more too,
> there is fundamental reset which may or may not be something we can
> control for individual slots (ie, switch legs) depending on platform
> specific stuff...
>
> > What I have below
> > is a bit awkward, so I welcome other ideas to accomplish this goal.
> > I've been using a "blind" interface based on all affected devices
> > belonging to the same VFIO container for current VGA testing. This is
> > ok when all you want to do is VGA, but I'd really like to make use of
> > this any time a device doesn't support a function level reset. I've
> > posted a series to the PCI list to add bus and slot reset interfaces to
> > PCI-core, this API is how we expose that through VFIO to a user. Please
> > comment. Thanks,
>
> Also in some cases, at least for us, we have a problem where the scope
> of the reset can be larger than the group ... in this case I think we
> need to forbid the reset.

Interesting, I would have ventured to guess that resets are always
contained within a single group given the PE isolation domains rooted at
a PHB. Why disallow it though? What I propose below would still allow
it if the user can prove that they own all of the affected groups. Even
on x86, I think it's too restrictive to only allow reset if the affect
is contained within a group. It's just too easy to need it for a
multi-function device. We could hope that a device that implements ACS
also implements some sort of FLR, but that may just be wishful thinking.

> For us, it's also tied into our "EEH" error handling. IE. The way the
> guest will request some of these things is going to be via firmware APIs
> that we have yet to implement, but that we were also thinking of
> implementing entire in the kernel rather than qemu for various
> reasons... IE. There is more to error handling & recovery in our case at
> least than AER and reset :-)

I've been focused on reset for device re-initialization and
repeatability, but that's a good point, we need to consider error
recovery as a use of this interface as well.

> I need to spend more time reading your proposal and see how it can work
> for us (or not...)... but we might end up just doing our own thing that
> carries the whole EEH API instead.

Obviously it would be great if it could work for you, but regardless of
whether you intend to use it I'd appreciate feedback. Thanks,

Alex