SubjectRe: [RFC] dmaengine: add dma_slave_get_caps api
On 07/08/2013 04:03 PM, Vinod Koul wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 04:28:29PM +0200, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:

>>> well how are you picking up which one to use?
>>> The idea is that you query and match that with system and client to get best
>>> throughput. If you have IP block which over generations change capablities you
>>> can runtime query and then program the channel smartly!
>>
>> The client would always request the largest burst size it can support, and
>> the dma master would then select a burst size equal or smaller to it
>> depending on what it can support.
> not really, most dmac drivers will return an error when they find a value is not
> in the supported list. And that is precisely what we would like to prevent.
> If you look at current model, it mostly program value which we know is already
> a capablity and works model.

The majority of the DMA drivers will either accept any maxburst value (which
is probably broken) or round down. The only ones which accept only a fixed
set of burst sizes seem to be mmp_pdma, mmp_tdma and sa11x0-dma.

- Lars

  Last update: 2013-07-10 23:18    [W:0.310 / U:0.156 seconds]