SubjectRe: perf/Documentation/ABI -- add some documentation for perf_event sysfs usage
On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 11:28:08AM -0400, Vince Weaver wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Jul 2013, Jiri Olsa wrote:

> > > I don't see a good reason not to allow decimal as well. Jolsa?
> >
> > yep, no technical problem with decimal
> >
> > hum, the doc mentions 'event' term only, which IS hex only AFAICS ;-)
> >
> > I think this docs should be updated and either describe all
> > allowed terms or be generic enough to cover all of them.
>
> So you're saying the official kernel ABI should be "whatever the
> userspace perf tool happens to accept"?

nope, I meant whatever term is used by kernel to describe the event

'event, umask, edge, pc, any, inv, cmask, ldat'

please check x86_event_sysfs_show function

> That's not really useful, especially as perf doesn't distinguish between
> event strings read from sysfs and those passed on the perf command line.
> The ABI documentation in effect ends up being a pointer to a mostly
> incomprehensible lex/yacc file.

the documentation is missing, no argument here :-\
'sysfs-bus-event_source-devices-events' could be more descriptive

> I think we should just remove the
> Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-bus-event_source-devices-events
> file as it's misleading. Userspace broke and no one cares.
>
> It's not even easy to audit all places in the kernel that create the sysfs
> event files because each architecture does it differently. And there's no
> sane way to unit test this on a new kernel release because the values
> printed depend on the hardware you have, so without a full range of all
> families of cpus for all architectures you never know when someone has
> added a decimal value, or started depending on { characters, etc.
>
> This is the problem with perf in the tools directory, any other user of
> the ABI is eternally second-class.

with updated documentation I dont see the issue

jirka

  Last update: 2013-07-07 17:41    [W:0.084 / U:0.884 seconds]