SubjectRe: [SCSI REGRESSION] 3.10.2 or 3.10.3: arcmsr failure at bootup / early userspace transition
On 07/29/2013 03:05 PM, Nix wrote:
> On 29 Jul 2013, Bernd Schubert said:
>
>> Hi Nick,
>>
>> On 07/29/2013 12:10 PM, Nick Alcock wrote:
>>> arcmsr0: abort device command of scsi id = 0 lun = 1
>>> arcmsr0: abort device command of scsi id = 0 lun = 0
>>> arcmsr: executing bus reset eh.....num_resets=0, num_[...]
>>>
>>> arcmsr0: wait 'abort all outstanding command' timeout
>>> arcmsr0: executing hw bus reset ....
>>> arcmsr0: waiting for hw bus reset return, retry=0
>>> arcmsr0: waiting for hw bus reset return, retry=1
>>> Areca RAID Controller0: F/W V1.46 2009-01-06 & Model ARC-1210
>>> arcmsr: scsi bus reset eh returns with success
>>> [and back to the top of the error messages again, apparently forever,
>>> not that the machine would be much use without its RAID array even
>>> if this loop terminated at some point, so I only gave it a couple
>>> of minutes]
>>>
>>> The failure happens precisely at the moment we transition to early
>>> userspace, so presumably userspace I/O is failing (or something related
>>> to raw device access, perhaps, since the first thing it does is a
>>> vgscan).
>>>
>>> I haven't bisected yet (sorry, I have work to do which means this
>>> machine must be running right now), but nothing has changed in the
>>> arcmsr controller, nor in SCSI-land excepting
>>>
>>> commit 98dcc2946adbe4349ef1ef9b99873b912831edd4
>>> Author: Martin K. Petersen <martin.petersen@oracle.com>
>>> Date: Thu Jun 6 22:15:55 2013 -0400
> [...]
>>> Obviously, at this point, this machine has no modules loaded (it has
>>> almost none loaded even when fully operational)
>>
>> I tested this patch with ARC-1260 and F/W V1.49, no issues. Also, this
>> patch is only in 3.10.3, but not yet in 3.10.1.
>
> ... and I see this problem with 3.10.3 but not 3.10.1. (Haven't tried
> 3.10.2.)

Hmm, indeed that points to this commit. I just don't see what could fail
there.

Could you try to run these commands with 3.10.1?

# # check if reporting opcodes works
# sg_opcodes -v -n /dev/sdX

# check ata information page
# sg_vpd --page=0x89 /dev/sdX

>> And I don't think this
>> commit can cause your issue at all, a failing heuristics would enable
>> WRITE SAME and would cause issues with linux-md, but there shouldn't
>> happen anything directly in the scsi-layer. Which was your last
>> working kernel version?
>
> 3.10.1. :)

Whoops, sorry, I missed that in your first sentence.

> No changes to arcmsr between those versions... I suspect I'll have to
> bisect, which will be a complete pig because every failure means a hard
> powerdown of this box. Always-on servers rarely appreciate hard
> powerdowns :(

Maybe just revert this commit? Helpful would be some scsi logging to see
which command actually fails. I guess you don't have a serial console?

Thanks,
Bernd

  Last update: 2013-07-29 17:01    [W:0.108 / U:0.944 seconds]