SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] DT bindings as ABI [was: Do we have people interested in device tree janitoring / cleanup?]
On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 07:37:48PM +0200, Richard Cochran wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 11:40:18AM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> > We did have exactly the same discussion when the DT transition was
> > started - this isn't something that people only just realised might be
> > an issue. There was a deliberate decision to focus on getting the
> > technology deployed to the point where it could be used as a straight
> > replacement for board files and accept that sometimes the results won't
> > be perfect and that we may need to rework as a result.

> Can you tell a bit more about this decision? When was it made? Who
> made it? How was it made public?

I honestly can't remember exactly - it was part of the discussion about
keeping the .dtb files in the kernel IIRC. Given the timing and the
fact that I remember it it'd have been a mailing list discussion but I
couldn't point you at it without searching for a needle in a haystack,
sorry. Perhaps there's a LWN writeup or something.

It's not the "we don't care" that you're seeing, it's more a product of
"we're not sure what we're doing yet, let's give ourselves a pass if we
mess things up while we're still learning" so it's probably buried in
some thread.

  Last update: 2013-07-28 13:41    [W:0.248 / U:6.012 seconds]