SubjectRe: Linux 3.11-rc2 [backlight] [ASUS N56VZ]
Date
On Wednesday, July 24, 2013 08:43:00 PM * SAMÍ * wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it seems a lot of people are complaining about the backlight pull
> request of RC2.
>
> This is to tell you how it saved my life:
> - Changing brightness from Fn keys does work
> - Writing to /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness does work
> - Changing brightness from gnome brightness settings does work
> --> It seems everything is now working (it wasn't before).
> --> I appreciate your patch and I am going to be sad if you revert it :-)

Well, there seems to be a number of people who'll be equally unhappy if I don't
do that. Unfortunately for you, things work for them without that patch.

The source of the problem seems to be that the i915's backlight support doesn't
work for all those people, although it should work anyway in principle. So to
me the way to go seems to be to revert the patch for now, fix the i915
backlight interface for them and try to apply it again when we're more
confident about the i915 backlight.

Thanks,
Rafael

--
I speak only for myself.
Rafael J. Wysocki, Intel Open Source Technology Center.