SubjectRe: [Xen-devel] is kexec on Xen domU possible?
On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 05:22:36PM -0700, Matt Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 11:33:15AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:

> > > It should not be a "one or the other" issue.
> >
> > I don't care about kdump, I care about kexec on domU for people who are
> > running on cloud providers with old versions of Xen so that they can
> > control what kernel they can boot, when they want to boot it. If kdump
> > works as well, that's just a bonus, but it's down on the list of things
> > for me to be concerned about.
>
> Many Xen-based cloud providers provide a mechanism for users to boot
> the kernels they want. For example you can use PV-GRUB on EC2
> instances to boot a kernel that is stored within an AMI.
>
> For more info:
> http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/UserProvidedkernels.html

Yes, that's quite true, but some don't, or they make it difficult to do
so. Using kexec also allows you to "be the bootloader" and decide on
_which_ kernel you want to boot, independant of what cloud provider you
use, something that lots of people want in their quest to not dependant
on any one company.

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2013-07-24 03:21    [W:0.058 / U:0.160 seconds]