SubjectIGMP Unsolicited Report Interval too long for IGMPv3?
If an IGMP join packet is lost you will not receive data sent to the
multicast group so if no data arrives from that multicast group in a
period of time after the IGMP join a second IGMP join will be sent. The
delay between joins is the "IGMP Unsolicited Report Interval".

In the kernel this seems to be hard coded to be chosen randomly between
0-10s. In our use-case (IPTV) this is too long as it can cause channel
change to be slow in the presence of packet loss.

I would guess that this 10s has come from IGMPv2 RFC2236, which was
reduced to 1s in IGMPv3 RFC3376.

There was a thread about this on linux-rdma in 2010 in the context of IP
over Infiniband but it seems no patches got applied as a result of the
discussion:

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-rdma@vger.kernel.org/msg05740.html

Would the right patch reducing the unsolicited report interval for
IGMPv3 be acceptable now?

Thanks

Will

  Last update: 2013-07-22 13:41    [W:0.035 / U:0.392 seconds]