SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] How to act on LKML
On Fri, 2013-07-19 at 13:42 -0500, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 7:08 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > * Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> As Linus already pointed out, not everybody has to work with everybody.
> >
> > That's not the point though, the point is to potentially roughly double
> > the creative brain capacity of the Linux kernel project.
>
> Unfortunately that's impossible; we all know there aren't as many
> women programmers as there are men.

In some countries, though not all.

But we also know (or should realise) that the gender ratio among
programmers in general is much less unbalanced than in some free
software communities including the Linux kernel developers.

> So there's absolutely *nothing*
> the Linux kernel can do to double the creative brain capacity of the
> Linux kernel project (at least with respect to women).
>
> At best that is a societal/academic/professional issue, not a Linux issue.
[...]

There is a broader societal issue, but that doesn't mean that there
isn't also a problem at the level of individual developer communities.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Humans are not rational beings; they are rationalising beings.

  Last update: 2013-07-20 19:41    [W:0.212 / U:0.236 seconds]