SubjectRe: [RFC / musing] Scoped exception handling in Linux userspace?
On 07/18/2013 05:26 PM, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> Windows has a feature that I've wanted on Linux forever: stack-based
> (i.e. scoped) exception handling. The upshot is that you can do,
> roughly, this (pseudocode):
>
> int callback(...)
> {
> /* Called if code_that_may_fault faults. May return "unwind to
> landing pad", "propagate the fault", or "fixup and retry" */
> }
>
> void my_function()
> {
> __hideous_try_thing(callback) {
> code_that_may_fault();
> } blahblahblah {
> landing_pad_code();
> }
> }

How is this different than throwing exceptions from a signal handler?

GCC already supports this on many architectures running on the Linux kernel.

You can do it from C using incantations like those found in the GCC
testsuite's gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg/cleanup-9.c file.

From C++ it is even easier, it is just a normal exception.

David Daney

> Windows calls it SEH (structured exception handling), and the
> implementation on 32-bit Windows is rather gnarly. I don't really
> know how it works on 64-bit windows, but I think it's saner.
>
> This has two really nice properties:
>
> 1. It works in libraries!
>
> 2. It's localized. So you can mmap something, read from it *and
> handle SIGBUS*, and unmap.
>
> Could Linux support such a thing? Here's a sketch of a way:
>
> - The kernel would need to have a fairly well-defined concept of
> synchronous faults that can be handled with this mechanism. Calls to
> force_sig_info are probably the right thing to hook in to.
>
> - The userspace runtime optionally registers (via a new syscall or
> prctl, say) a handler for synchronous faults.
>
> - When a synchronous fault happens, if the process (struct
> sighand_struct) has a synchronous fault handler registered, the signal
> is delivered to that handler, on the thread that faulted, instead of
> via the normal signal handling mechanism.
>
> - The userspace runtime walks the chain of personality handlers and
> gives them a chance to respond.
>
> - If no handler claims the fault, then the user code somehow* causes
> ordinary signal delivery to happen.
>
> * This may need kernel help, too -- if the process is going to die, it
> should die for the right reason, so perhaps there should be a syscall
> to redeliver the signal. If the runtime wants to be fancy and a
> signal handler is installed, then there could be a fast path. Maybe
> if we got really fancy, it could live in the vdso.
>
> Now everyone wins! After someone writes the libgcc support for this
> (ugh!), then you can write CFI-based exception handlers in assembly!
> Presumably you could write them in C++, too, if you don't care about
> restarting, like this:
>
> try {
> code_that_may_fault();
> } catch (cxxabi::synchronous_kernel_fault &) {
> amazingly_dont_crash();
> }
>
> Is this worth persuing? I'm not touching the gcc part with a ten-foot
> pole, but I could probably do some of the kernel work. I'm a bit
> scared of libgcc, too.
>
> It's worth noting that SIGBUS isn't the only interesting signal here.
> SIGFPE could work, too. I'm not sure whether SIGPIPE would make
> sense. SIGSEGV would clearly work, but anyone using this mechanism
> for SIGSEGV is probably asking for trouble.
>

> --Andy
>
> P.S. Just because you can probably get away with throwing a C++
> exception from a signal handler right now does not mean it's a good
> idea. Especially in a library.

  Last update: 2013-07-19 03:21    [W:1.704 / U:0.320 seconds]