    SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] How to act on LKML
    On Wed, 17 Jul 2013, Felipe Contreras wrote:
    > On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Stefano Stabellini
    > <stefano.stabellini@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
    > > On Wed, 17 Jul 2013, Steven Rostedt wrote:
    > >> The last thing I want to do is to lower the quality of the kernel just
    > >> to get a wider range of developers.
    > >
    > > Can we stop bringing the quality of the code into the discussion?
    >
    > Can you please stop calling open communication abuse?

    Open communication is one thing, abuse is another, so I agree with you
    there.

    > First you have
    > to explain *why* it was improper in order to call it abuse, and in the
    > few examples that have been shown, it has been explained that the
    > behavior was justified (breaking the #1 rule by a lieutenant who
    > should know better).

    Abuse is never justified, I hope that's clear for everybody.
    Two wrongs don't make a right.

    So we are down to the definition of verbal abuse.
    The Oxford dictionary gives me:

    "speak to (someone) in an insulting and offensive way"

    For example I think that calling somebody a moron qualifies.

    > > I think it's pretty clear that one doesn't need to be verbally abusive
    > > in order to stop bad code from getting into the kernel.
    >
    > You can think whatever you want, others have already shown that
    > changing the tone of the message in the examples would have changed
    > the desired effect.

    I disagree and it is certainly not the case in my experience.

      Last update: 2013-07-17 20:41    [W:4.583 / U:0.056 seconds]