SubjectRe: [ATTEND] How to act on LKML
From
On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 4:17 AM, Stefano Stabellini
<stefano.stabellini@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jul 2013, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

>> Linux took off in a way that the other OSS operating systems didn't, and
>> several of them had started earlier and with way more funding available.
>>
>> You really have to think about why we are not running Hurd, or any of
>> the various *BSDs, and instead Linus' "not big and professional like
>> GNU" hack. In my opinion it was because the Linux community was in fact
>> the most open and welcoming of the Open Source communities around.
>
> Then it's the time to ask ourselves: is it still like this?

Yes it is. Linux is the only project I'm aware of where I know my
patches will be accepted if they are technically good, despite any
personal bullshit, not even Git allows this.

The fact that one can be open and honest, and discussion is welcome
(as long as it's constructive), in this list is one of the reasons why
Linux is so successful.

To me, Linux is an oasis among a desert of open source projects where
technical merit is not as important as "being nice", and that's why
those projects rot and eventually fork, and Linux would not.

I know you think "being nice" is better, but do you actually have any
evidence for this, or is it just wishful thinking? If you don't have
hard evidence, then I'd say you have to admit it's simply your
opinion, and I don't think the most successful software project in
history should change one if it's core principles simply because *you*
think it should.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras

  Last update: 2013-07-17 16:43    [W:0.323 / U:0.232 seconds]