SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] KS Topic request: Handling the Stable kernel, let's dump the cc: stable tag
On Tue, 2013-07-16 at 13:27 +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:

> > I also heard some managers decided their kernel source packages should
> > have all the patches squashed together to make them harder to cherry-
> > pick... could it have been the same company?
>
> Greg loves to tell stories about RH management, but really if he can
> find any engineer who works for RH that says he can't work on stable
> due to being told by management, I'd be surprised. Maybe when stable
> first surfaced there was a hope of it being close to RHEL, but at this
> point stable has little to no usefulness from a RHEL point of view,
> and since nearly all the RH employed maintainers all do stable work, I
> can't see why Greg would think this matters.

And to stress that point. I myself work for Red Hat, and I'm very big
into the stable tree. Heck, I maintain a 3.6 stable (not as well as
"Greg" does, but I'm just a mere mortal).

I don't know what managers Greg talked to, but I've been encouraged by
management to mark bug fixes with the stable tag.

-- Steve

  Last update: 2013-07-16 06:21    [W:0.073 / U:1.464 seconds]