SubjectRe: [ATTEND] How to act on LKML (was: [ 00/19] 3.10.1-stable review)
On Tue, 2013-07-16 at 13:14 +1000, NeilBrown wrote:

> Surely there is an enormous difference between being required to defend your
> position against rational and forceful argument, and being required to defend
> it against irrelevant name calling.

Sure, but I don't think there's really much name calling in the kernel
community.

I just scanned a large number of LKML emails, and they all seemed rather
technical, and no personal attacks at all. And that included several
emails from Linus as well. Probably the strongest email came from Thomas
Gleixner, but even that didn't contain any personal name calling. Mostly
he called stuff "crap" but that was about the code and claims that the
code did, but not about the person.

There are a few times that Linus gets a bit colorful with his
criticisms, but that's really the minority of the email and not the
overall tone. I think Linus picks his battles. Sometimes he goes
overboard, but he's human. But I still think he's running this ship
well.

-- Steve

  Last update: 2013-07-16 05:41    [W:0.108 / U:1.856 seconds]