SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] KS Topic request: Handling the Stable kernel, let's dump the cc: stable tag
On Mon, 2013-07-15 at 22:09 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
[...]
> > > How important is the stable releases? Are maintainers willing to do a
> > > little more work now to make sure their subsystems work fine in older
> > > kernels? This isn't the same stable as it was 8 years ago.
> >
> > And that annoys the hell out of some Linux companies who feel that the
> > stable kernels compete with them. So people working for those companies
> > might not get as much help with doing any additional work for stable
> > kernel releases (this is not just idle gossip, I've heard it directly
> > from management's mouths.)
>
> Hmm, this is new to me. Really, I thought the whole point of the stable
> releases was to help Linux companies.
[...]

I also heard some managers decided their kernel source packages should
have all the patches squashed together to make them harder to cherry-
pick... could it have been the same company?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Humans are not rational beings; they are rationalising beings.

  Last update: 2013-07-16 05:21    [W:0.081 / U:6.968 seconds]