SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] KS Topic request: Handling the Stable kernel, let's dump the cc: stable tag
On Mon, 2013-07-15 at 14:44 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
[...]
> The second one is almost always due to security issues that were unknown
> to the distro. The announcement of security problems to the distros has
> now been addressed, and since that has changed, I haven't heard any
> problems about this.
[...]

I'm not elite enough to be on these security lists, though sometimes I
hear about embargoed issues through the Debian security team.

Anything that's being reviewed on the stable list is public. I know
this is an old argument, but if you point out a fix you *know* has a
security impact then you'll help general distribution maintainers and
users a lot more than you help the black-hats who are quite capable of
recognising such a fix (if they haven't already spotted and exploited
the bug).

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Humans are not rational beings; they are rationalising beings.

  Last update: 2013-07-16 05:01    [W:0.262 / U:0.628 seconds]