SubjectRe: [ 00/19] 3.10.1-stable review
From
On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Sarah Sharp
<sarah.a.sharp@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> Bullshit. I've seen you be polite, and explain to clueless maintainers
> why there's no way you can revert their merge that caused regressions,
> and ask them to fit it without resorting to tearing them down
> emotionally:

Oh, I'll be polite when it's called for.

But when people who know better send me crap, I'll curse at them.

I suspect you'll notice me cursing *way* more at top developers than
random people on the list. I expect more from them, and conversely
I'll be a lot more upset when they do something that I really think
was not great.

For example, my latest cursing explosion was for the x86 maintainers,
and it comes from the fact that I *know* they know to do better. The
x86 tip pulls have generally been through way more testing than most
other pulls I get (not just compiling, but even booting randconfigs
etc). So when an x86 pull request comes in that clearly missed that
expected level of quality, I go to town.

Similarly, you will see fireworks if some long-term maintainer makes
excuses for breaking user space etc. That will make me go into
incoherent rages.

The "polite Linus" example that you point to? That was a maintainer
asking for direction for when things went wrong and *before* sending
me something dubious. Of course I'm polite then.

Sarah, I don't have Tourettes syndrome. You seem to think that my
cursing is uncontrolled and random. I argue that it has causes. Big
difference.

Linus

  Last update: 2013-07-16 02:01    [W:0.401 / U:5.748 seconds]