SubjectRe: [ 00/19] 3.10.1-stable review
On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 21:17:27 +0200 Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:

> Communication works two ways.

I understand that to mean (at least) that for communication, every message
must be both sent and received. So when constructing a message, it is
important to think about how others will understand it.
On a public email list there are an awful lot of "others", and it is very
likely that any possible misunderstanding will be experienced by someone.
I think it best to minimise opportunities for misunderstanding.

> Sure it can be hard for newcomers but I don't remember having read him
> scold a newcomer.

I think that is not relevant. He is scolding people senior developers in
front of newcomers. That is not likely to encourage people to want to become
senior developers.

Anecdote: My son (in highschool) is doing a psych assignment where he is
asking people to complete a survey which, among other things, asks about
people fear/anxiety response to various situations (it is a fairly standard
instrument I think[1]). Last few times he checked, the situation with the
highest average score was "One person bullying another". Really, it isn't
nice to watch.

NeilBrown

[1] e.g.
http://horan.asu.edu/ced522readings/ced-fearquestionnaire.htm

  Last update: 2013-07-16 01:21    [W:0.377 / U:29.692 seconds]