SubjectRe: SATA hdd refuses to reallocate a sector?
On Sun, 30 Jun 2013, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > > The drives I have tried this on (smartctl -t long),
> > > abort at the first bad sector. Not useful.
> >
> > Which vendor? The Seagates I have on hand are not that crappy, for example
> > (their issues are subpar mechanics and the resulting high rate of failure,
> > but the firmware at least is not a piece of crap)...
>
> Are you sure? I seem to have firmware issues:
>
> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
> Model Family: Seagate Momentus 5400.6 series

Apparently there is too much of a difference between Seagate Momentus and
Seagate Barracuda. The barracuda are not crap [as far as the firmware
goes], where apparently the Momentus have crap firmware.

So we're both correct, and I was not precise enough when I spoke well of
Seagate firware :-)

Henrique Holschuh

  Last update: 2013-07-01 16:21    [W:0.053 / U:0.812 seconds]