SubjectRe: [RFC 0/5] Enable f2fs support inline data
Hi,

2013-06-08 (토), 15:25 +0800, Huajun Li:

> Hi Jaegeuk,
> Thanks for your suggestion.
> On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Jaegeuk Kim <jaegeuk.kim@samsung.com>
> wrote:
> Hi Haicheng,
> 2013-06-04 (화), 14:01 +0800, Haicheng Li:
> > Hi Jaegeuk & Namjae,
> >
> > Sure, we'll address your comments. And this version is RFC,
> just wanna to
> > make sure this feature is meaningful for f2fs project, and
> there is no obvious
> > mistake, e.g. missing some critical path.
> IMO, it is worth to design and implement the inline feature
> though, I'd
> like to review the total design before looking at trivial
> mistakes.
> Since if the initial design is changed frequently, we need to
> review
> again and again.
>
> Agree. So let's understand/clarify your following proposal firstly.

> So, we need to decide the overall inline design.
> Currently we have to consider three data structures at a same
> time for
> the on-disk *inline* inode block structure, which are data,
> dentry, and
> xattr as well.
>
> IMO, we can give three inode flags: F2FS_INLINE_DATA,
> F2FS_INLINE_DENT,
> and F2FS_INLINE_XATTR.
>
> Small data and dentries can be inline. And xattr (such as XATTR_USER,
> XATTR_TRUSTED, eg. ) can be inline too, right ?

Right.

> Or inline xattr is just working for inline data/dentries?
>
> < on-disk inode block >
> - metadata
> - if F2FS_INLINE_XATTR is set,
> : use fixed 2*255 bytes to *cache* two xattrs for simplicity
>
> These 2 xattrs are working for the ones storing in xattr_nid block
> before, or just providing info for inline data/dent ?

I meant that we can store a fixed number of xattrs in the inode block
like *inline* data. The number, 2, is just for example.
If users give only one or two xattrs, we can store them in the inode
block instead of using extra node blocks.

If a system enables SELinux, it is able to set security labels to all
the files according to the policy, so that we need to consider inline
xattr seriously.

> `- if F2FS_INLINE_DATA is set,
> : use the remained space varied by F2FS_INLINE_XATTR.
> `- if F2FS_INLINE_DENT is set,
> : use variable number of dentries determined by
> F2FS_INLINE_XATTR.
> Do you mean inline dent depends on inline xattr, that is, we need a
> dedicated xattr entry providing info for inline denteries, right?

What I meant was the size of inline dentry space. We need to calculate
the size for inline dentries on-the-fly as the F2FS_INLINE_XATTR is set
or not.

> `- Otherwise, use as pointers
>
> And then, we need to define how to deal with their
> combinations.
>
> Operational conditions
> ----------------------
> - use inline xattr or not, by checking other inline flags and
> inline
> data size.
> - calculate inline data size and its offset according to the
> use of
> inline xattrs.
> - the places of inline operaions wrt the lock consistency and
> coverage
> - Power-off-recovery routine should care about the on-disk
> inode
> structure.
> - unset F2FS_INLINE_DATA if i_size = 0
> - unset F2FS_INLINE_XATTR if xattr entries = 0
> - unset F2FS_INLINE_DENT if dentries = 0
>
> - what else?
> - clear these flags after the inline data/dent is moved to normal data
> block
> - maybe we need store xattr_header while making xattr inline.

It seems that there is nothing to store any header information.

Thanks,

--
Jaegeuk Kim
Samsung

  Last update: 2013-06-10 01:21    [W:0.077 / U:1.404 seconds]