SubjectRe: Handling NUMA page migration
Date
On Wednesday 05 June 2013 11:10:48 Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Wed 05-06-13 10:34:13, Frank Mehnert wrote:

> > > You didn't mention Oops before. Are you sure you are just not missing
> > > any follow up fix?
> >
> > Sorry, but remember, this is on a host running VirtualBox which is
> > executing code in ring 0.
>
> Then the problem might be almost anywhere... I am afraid I cannot help
> you much with that. Good luck.

Thank you very much for your help. As I said, this problem happens _only_
with NUMA_BALANCING enabled. I understand that you treat the VirtualBox
code as untrusted but the reason for the problem is that some assumption
is obviously not met: The VirtualBox code assumes that the memory it
allocates using case A and case B is

1. always present and
2. will always be backed by the same phyiscal memory

over the entire life time. Enabling NUMA_BALANCING seems to make this
assumption false. I only want to know why.

I posted the snipped of the Oops above to show that some present bits are
not set (in that case in PMD ant PTE), the question is why.

> > > At which state? When you setup your page or when the Oops happens?
> > > Are you sure that your out-of-tree code plays well with the migration
> > > code?
> >
> > I've added code to show_fault_oops(). This code determines the page
> > struct for the address where the ring 0 page fault happened. It then
> > prints the value of PageLRU(page) from that page struct as part of the
> > Oops. This was to check if the page is part of the LRU list or not. I
> > hope I did this right.
>
> I am not sure this will tell you much. Your code would have to trip over
> a page affected by the migration. And nothing indicates this so far.

I see, you don't believe me. I will add more code to the kernel logging
which pages were migrated.

Thanks,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert | Software Development Director, VirtualBox
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | 71384 Weinstadt, Germany

Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher

  Last update: 2013-06-05 12:21    [W:0.067 / U:0.172 seconds]