SubjectRe: [patch] mm, memcg: add oom killer delay
On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 11:18:09AM -0700, David Rientjes wrote:
> [...]
> own oom handler in a subtree (they may attach it to their own subtree root
> and wait on memory.oom_control of a child memcg with a limit less than
> that root) but not insist on an absolutely perfect implementation that can
> never fail when you run on many, many servers. Userspace implementations
> do fail sometimes, we just accept that.
>
> > I still do not see why you cannot simply read tasks file into a
> > preallocated buffer. This would be few pages even for thousands of pids.
> > You do not have to track processes as they come and go.
>
> What do you suggest when you read the "tasks" file and it returns -ENOMEM
> because kmalloc() fails because the userspace oom handler's memcg is also
> oom? Obviously it's not a situation we want to get into, but unless you
> know that handler's exact memory usage across multiple versions, nothing
> else is sharing that memcg, and it's a perfect implementation, you can't
> guarantee it. We need to address real world problems that occur in
> practice.
>
> > As I said before. oom_delay_millisecs is actually really easy to be done
> > from userspace. If you really need a safety break then you can register
> > such a handler as a fallback. I am not familiar with eventfd internals
> > much but I guess that multiple handlers are possible. The fallback might
> > be enforeced by the admin (when a new group is created) or by the
> > container itself. Would something like this work for your use case?
>
> You're suggesting another userspace process that solely waits for a set
> duration and then reenables the oom killer? It faces all the same
> problems as the true userspace oom handler: it's own perfect
> implementation and it's own memcg constraints.
>
> > > If that user is constrained to his or her own subtree, as previously
> > > stated, there's also no way to login and rectify the situation at that
> > > point and requires admin intervention or a reboot.
> >
> > Yes, insisting on the same subtree makes the life much harder for oom
> > handlers. I totally agree with you on that. I just feel that introducing
> > a new knob to workaround user "inability" to write a proper handler
> > (what ever that means) is not justified.
>
> It's not necessarily harder if you assign the userspace oom handlers to
> the root of your subtree with access to more memory than the children.
> There is no "inability" to write a proper handler, but when you have
> dozens of individual users implementing their own userspace handlers with
> changing memcg limits over time, then you might find it hard to have
> perfection every time. If we had perfection, we wouldn't have to worry
> about oom in the first place. We can't just let these gazillion memcgs
> sit spinning forever because they get stuck, either. That's why we've
> used this solution for years as a failsafe. Disabling the oom killer
> entirely, even for a memcg, is ridiculous, and if you don't have a grace
> period then oom handlers themselves just don't work.

It's only ridiculous if your OOM handler is subject to the OOM
situation it's trying to handle.

Don't act as if the oom disabling semantics were unreasonable or
inconsistent with the rest of the system, memcgs were not really meant
to be self-policed by the tasks running in them. That's why we have
the waitqueue, so that everybody sits there and waits until an outside
force resolves the situation. There is nothing wrong with that, you
just have a new requirement.

> > > Then why does "cat tasks" stall when my memcg is totally depleted of all
> > > memory?
> >
> > if you run it like this then cat obviously needs some charged
> > allocations. If you had a proper handler which mlocks its buffer for the
> > read syscall then you shouldn't require any allocation at the oom time.
> > This shouldn't be that hard to do without too much memory overhead. As I
> > said we are talking about few (dozens) of pages per handler.
> >

> I'm talking about the memory the kernel allocates when reading the "tasks"
> file, not userspace. This can, and will, return -ENOMEM.

Do you mean due to kmem limitations?

What we could do is allow one task in the group to be the dedicated
OOM handler. If we catch this task in the charge path during an OOM
situation, we fall back to the kernel OOM handler.

  Last update: 2013-06-03 21:41    [W:0.108 / U:0.344 seconds]