    SubjectRe: [regression, bisected] x86: efi: Pass boot services variable info to runtime code
    On Fri, 31 May 2013, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > So this change needs to be reverted or fixed.

    I don't think anyone is arguing against that.

    My remark was purely to describe the current status quo and help to
    understand what exactly is happening, i.e.:

    - QueryVariableInfo() should be a valid thing to do from inside boot
    environment, according to the spec
    - now we see that at least SGI bios (an probably other incarnations)
    think otherwise
    - if we are not able to fix / work around the bug in BIOS (*), we have to
    make a choice between two evils -- either increase likelyhood of
    bricking certain machines due to filling the EFI storage space, or
    break booting on broken BIOSen
    - the theory is that Borislav's 1:1 mapping patches will work this around;
    one of the supporting arguments being that it's probably what Windows is
    doing. I believe Borislav is in the process of testing this. But the
    patches are not ready for mainline yet.

    (*) If one would be naive enough, he'd believe that the pressure should be
    put on the BIOS writers instead of OS to fix the bug :)

    --
    Jiri Kosina
    SUSE Labs

      Last update: 2013-05-31 13:41    [W:4.366 / U:0.032 seconds]