SubjectRE: EnhanceIO(TM) caching driver features [1/3]
Date
Hi Jens,

I by mistake dropped the weblink to demartek study while composing my email. The demartek study is published here: http://www.demartek.com/Demartek_STEC_S1120_PCIe_Evaluation_2013-02.html. It's an independent study. Here are a few numbers taken from this report. In a database comparison using transactions per second
HDD baseline (40 disks) - 2570 tps
240GB Cache - 9844 tps
480GB cache - 19758 tps
RAID5 pure SSD - 32380 tps
RAID0 pure SSD - 40467 tps

There are two types of performance comparisons, application based and IO pattern based. Application based tests measure efficiency of cache replacement algorithms. These are time consuming. Above tests were done by demartek over a period of time. I don't have performance comparisons between EnhanceIO(TM) driver, bcache and dm-cache. I'll try to get them done in-house.

IO pattern based tests can be done quickly. However since IO pattern is fixed prior to the test, output tends to depend on whether the IO pattern suits the caching algorithm. These are relatively easy. I can definitely post this comparison.

Regarding IO error handling - that's really our USP :-). While it won't be possible to do a testing of bcache and dm-cache on our internal error test suites, I'll try to come up with a few points based on code comparison.

Thanks.
-Amit