From: Luck, Tony [mailto:tony.luck@intel.com]
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2013 3:42 PM
To: Ming Lei; linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Cc: mchehab@redhat.com; bp@alien8.de
Subject: RE: x86_mce: mce_start uses number of phsical cores instead of logical cores

> So only one socket gets the machine check. So is there still a problem but the fix will be different?
> I think the error inject creates a real machine check, but since each
> CPU has its own memory controller, the machine check may only send to the CPU the error happens.

If there is a real machine check, then it must go to all logical cpus. If it doesn't get there, then there is a h/w (or possibly f/w configuration) problem. Interesting that few others have seen this. Perhaps because it only shows up in a fatal path and the machine is crashing anyway. A Google search for the "Some CPUs didn't answer in synchronization" message does have a few hits that look relevant, but following a few didn't give me enough details on machine configuration to tell whether they match what you are seeing.

If there are many machines that do this - then we may need a workaround in Linux code for them.
Who is the manufacturer of the motherboard and/or system you are using?

But the current code that expects to see the machine check on all logical cpus is correct (and works as is on other machines that are following the specification).

-Tony

  Last update: 2013-05-11 08:21    [W:0.057 / U:22.236 seconds]