SubjectRe: Your action on perf bug report is requested was Re: Basic perf PMU support for Haswell v11

* Andi Kleen <andi@firstfloor.org> wrote:

> > I found a similar system (not same stepping, but same model) and tested
> > perf top works fine here. Also on a couple of other systems.
> >
> > Since I cannot reproduce I would need your help debugging it.
>
> Ingo, I haven't heard back from you on this.

FYI, the v3.10 merge window has started 3+ days ago.

The merge window is a very busy time period for Linus and maintainers
alike, and developers should generally not expect maintainers to deal with
new experimental patches near to or especially during the merge window!

As a special exception I tried and tested your patches on Friday and
reported back to you the bug, 2 days before the opening of the merge
window - but you should not expect out of order treatment of development
patches during the merge window

I might have time to look at your patches in a few days. No promises - I
still haven't merged all trees to Linus. I think the 11 review cycles of
your Haswell patch-set are proof enough of my willingness to deal with
your patches.

> You reported an unreproducable bug. I gave you several steps to diagnose
> the problem, so that we can make progress on this.

It's entirely reproducible here on that testbox, and was caused by your
patches - I partially bisected it to your series. (but not to a specific
patch in your series - ran out of time.)

> You've had several days time now to to this, but I have not heard from
> you.

FYI, you are entirely confused about how Linux maintenance works near and
during the merge window. Many maintainers don't take any patches but only
take fixes for already applied patches. (In -tip we generally try to
freeze a week before the merge window, so your patches missed the v3.10
merge window by a wide margin I'm afraid.)

Furthermore, frankly, the nasty, demanding tone of your mail, expecting
and demanding a reply to your mail within two work days (!) is ridiculous
and unacceptable and does not make it more likely for me to make special
exceptions for your patches.

Thanks,

Ingo

  Last update: 2013-05-01 12:41    [W:0.136 / U:0.048 seconds]