SubjectRe: rcu: Provide compile-time control for no-CBs CPUs
On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 04:24:40PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 12:25:41PM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 02:46:12PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
>
> > > Additionally, nowhere in any of this text does it say what a "no-CB CPU" is,
> > > or why I would care, or even what the downsides are for each option.
> >
> > In the absence of any Kconfig change, would the following be more helpful?
>
> A little. You've now documented the mechanism behind each choice,
> but there's still no real explanation why I would pick one over the other.
> The average reader of these texts isn't going to know whether running something
> from a kthread is a better/worse idea than running from softirq context.
>
> Who doesn't like saving energy ? Why would I leave it at the NONE default ?
> Why is it even an option ? I'm assuming there's a reason we don't pick
> (one of the) energy efficient options by default (performance?) who knows,
> there's no explanation.
>
> Why would I want to treat CPU0 differently ? What user-visible downsides
> are there ? Who knows..

OK, taking the questions one at a time...

o Who doesn't like saving energy?

That depends on what you lose when you save the energy. In fact,
there may come a time when RCU always invokes its context from
kthread context. But before I take that step, I need to see
a year or two worth of experience with this for a lot of different
workloads, especially workloads involving extremely heavy
networking loads.

o Why would I leave it at the NONE default?
o Why is it even an option?

Because if you are doing testing or running benchmarks to check
the effects of setting different numbers of CPUs to no-CBs mode,
and you might not want to incur the overhead of a kernel build
between each run. The NONE default is what you want for this
case, because it allows complete freedom to choose an arbitrary
no-CBs configuration on each boot.

o I'm assuming there's a reason we don't pick (one of the) energy
efficient options by default (performance)?

The reason I picked NONE as default is because it gives the most
boot-time flexibility. I felt that flexibility was important
at the moment because I expect most of the users to be kicking
the tires rather than putting it into production. I might well
change the default later on, in fact, I might well eliminate
the choice entirely (so that all CPUs are always no-CBs CPUs)
if experience indicates that this is a reasonable approach.

o Why would I want to treat CPU0 differently?

I added this option because it ensures that the various people
doing randconfig testing will at least sometimes test a mixed
system that has only some of the CPUs be no-CBs CPUs.

o What user-visible downsides are there?

There might well not be any. In theory, no-CBs CPUs will incur
a little bit more overhead, especially if they are pinned to
some CPU on the other side of the system from the CPU they
are serving. In practice, you would have to show me a workload
where this difference was visible at the system level, but at
the same time, I clearly cannot prove that there is no such
workload.

Should I add this to the Kconfig help text? My guess is "not all of it",
but figured I should ask. See below for my current best guess.

> > +choice
> > + prompt "Build-forced no-CBs CPUs"
> > + default RCU_NOCB_CPU_NONE
> > + help
> > + This option allows no-CBs CPUs (whose RCU callbacks are invoked
> > + from kthreads rather than from softirq context) to be specified
> > + at build time. Additional no-CBs CPUs may be specified by
> > + the rcu_nocbs= boot parameter.
> > +
> > +config RCU_NOCB_CPU_NONE
> > + bool "No build_forced no-CBs CPUs"
> > + depends on RCU_NOCB_CPU
> > + help
> > + This option does not force any of the CPUs to be no-CBs CPUs.
> > + Only CPUs designated by the rcu_nocbs= boot parameter will be
> > + no-CBs CPUs, whose RCU callbacks will be invoked by per-CPU
> > + rcuo kthreads. All other CPUs will invoke their own RCU
> > + callbacks in softirq context.
> > +
> > +config RCU_NOCB_CPU_ZERO
> > + bool "CPU 0 is a build_forced no-CBs CPU"
> > + depends on RCU_NOCB_CPU
> > + help
> > + This option forces CPU 0 to be a no-CBs CPU, so that its
> > + RCU callbacks are invoked by a per-CPU rcuo kthread.
> > + Additional CPUs may be designated as no-CBs CPUs using the
> > + rcu_nocbs= boot parameter will be no-CBs CPUs. All other CPUs
> > + will invoke their own RCU callbacks in softirq context.
> > +
> > + Select this if CPU 0 needs to be a no-CBs CPU for real-time
> > + or energy-efficiency reasons.
> > +
> > +config RCU_NOCB_CPU_ALL
> > + bool "All CPUs are build_forced no-CBs CPUs"
> > + depends on RCU_NOCB_CPU
> > + help
> > + This option forces all CPUs to be no-CBs CPUs. The rcu_nocbs=
> > + boot parameter will be ignored. All CPUs' RCU callbacks will
> > + be executed in the context of per-CPU rcuo kthreads created
> > + for this purpose.
> > +
> > + Select this if all CPUs need to be no-CBs CPUs for real-time
> > + or energy-efficiency reasons.
>
> I know how much IBMers love their acronyms. I thought you'd invented
> some new rcu variant for a moment. Perhaps "kthreads named 'rcuo'"
> would be clearer ?

Good point, changed as you suggest. And I am trying to avoid
perpetrating^Winventing new RCU flavors, at least for the next
week or two.

Speaking as an IBMer, I can only hang my head in shame at my inability
thus far to come up with an acronym that is at least five letters long,
but consisting only of vowels. ;-)

Thanx, Paul

config RCU_NOCB_CPU
bool "Offload RCU callback processing from boot-selected CPUs"
depends on TREE_RCU || TREE_PREEMPT_RCU
default n
help
Use this option to reduce OS jitter for aggressive HPC or
real-time workloads. It can also be used to offload RCU
callback invocation to energy-efficient CPUs in battery-powered
asymmetric multiprocessors.

This option offloads callback invocation from the set of
CPUs specified at boot time by the rcu_nocbs parameter.
For each such CPU, a kthread ("rcuox/N") will be created to
invoke callbacks, where the "N" is the CPU being offloaded,
and where the "x" is "b" for RCU-bh, "p" for RCU-preempt, and
"s" for RCU-sched. Nothing prevents this kthread from running
on the specified CPUs, but (1) the kthreads may be preempted
between each callback, and (2) affinity or cgroups can be used
to force the kthreads to run on whatever set of CPUs is desired.

Say Y here if you want to help to debug reduced OS jitter.
Say N here if you are unsure.

choice
prompt "Build-forced no-CBs CPUs"
default RCU_NOCB_CPU_NONE
help
This option allows no-CBs CPUs (whose RCU callbacks are invoked
from kthreads rather than from softirq context) to be specified
at build time. Additional no-CBs CPUs may be specified by
the rcu_nocbs= boot parameter.

config RCU_NOCB_CPU_NONE
bool "No build_forced no-CBs CPUs"
depends on RCU_NOCB_CPU
help
This option does not force any of the CPUs to be no-CBs CPUs.
Only CPUs designated by the rcu_nocbs= boot parameter will be
no-CBs CPUs, whose RCU callbacks will be invoked by per-CPU
kthreads whose names begin with "rcuo". All other CPUs will
invoke their own RCU callbacks in softirq context.

Select this option if you want to choose no-CBs CPUs at
boot time, for example, to allow testing of different no-CBs
configurations without having to rebuild the kernel each time.

config RCU_NOCB_CPU_ZERO
bool "CPU 0 is a build_forced no-CBs CPU"
depends on RCU_NOCB_CPU
help
This option forces CPU 0 to be a no-CBs CPU, so that its RCU
callbacks are invoked by a per-CPU kthread whose name begins
with "rcuo". Additional CPUs may be designated as no-CBs
CPUs using the rcu_nocbs= boot parameter will be no-CBs CPUs.
All other CPUs will invoke their own RCU callbacks in softirq
context.

Select this if CPU 0 needs to be a no-CBs CPU for real-time
or energy-efficiency reasons, but the real reason it exists
is to ensure that randconfig testing covers mixed systems.

config RCU_NOCB_CPU_ALL
bool "All CPUs are build_forced no-CBs CPUs"
depends on RCU_NOCB_CPU
help
This option forces all CPUs to be no-CBs CPUs. The rcu_nocbs=
boot parameter will be ignored. All CPUs' RCU callbacks will
be executed in the context of per-CPU rcuo kthreads created for
this purpose. Assuming that the kthreads whose names start with
"rcuo" are bound to "housekeeping" CPUs, this reduces OS jitter
on the remaining CPUs, but might decrease memory locality during
RCU-callback invocation, thus potentially degrading throughput.

Select this if all CPUs need to be no-CBs CPUs for real-time
or energy-efficiency reasons.

endchoice

  Last update: 2013-05-01 00:01    [W:0.068 / U:0.184 seconds]