    SubjectRe: still in 3.9-rc6 - fan speed at 100% after suspend/resume regression
    On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 10:02:21AM -0600, Jake Edge wrote:
    > Hi Zhang Rui,
    >
    > The problem reported in https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/12/4/428 (and
    > incorrectly attributed to a suspend patch by me here:
    > https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/4/12/314) still exists in 3.9-rc6, at least
    > for my HP/Compaq 2510p laptop. It appeared that some folks were seeing
    > some improvement with earlier 3.9-rcs (?) but I just tested rc6 and saw
    > substantially the same behavior. This all works fine in <= 3.6.11.
    >
    > A brief recap: after resuming, the fan on the laptop spins up to full
    > speed and stays there. "temp6" in "acpitz-virtual-0" (as shown by
    > "sensors") is 100°C and stays there, which is presumably what is making
    > the fan stay on.

    My HP Compaq NC6000 exhibits slightly different behaviour. For me the
    reported temp is always accurate but the trip points get out of sync
    with the actual temperature.

    With 3.7 I saw two different kinds of problems coming out of resume.
    In one case the fan stays on until the temp rises high enough to get the
    trip points back into sync. In the other case the fan goes off, and stays
    off even when the temperature rises above the highest active trip point,
    but it does appear to get back into sync when the temp starts to come back
    down. I think the difference might stem from resuming when the laptop has
    cooled down fully vs. when it's still warm.

    I also just tried 3.9-rc6, and that one appears to behave differently
    to 3.7, but still wrong. There the fan goes off after resume, and comes
    back on as the temperature rises, but it never slows back down after
    that.

    I'll try to collect some more detailed dumps of all three cases.

    --
    Ville Syrjälä
    syrjala@sci.fi