SubjectRe: IMA: How to manage user space signing policy with others
On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 01:59:41PM -0500, Mimi Zohar wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-03-04 at 10:29 -0500, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Hi Mimi,
> >
> > If we decide to merge flags, then practically we modified the
> > ima_appraise_tcb policy. ima_appraise_tcb policy expects to cache the
> > results and we will not do that. And this conflict just grows if we
> > are forced to add more options in future.
> >
> > Also as you mentioned that in some cases flag merging is OR operation
> > and in another cases it might be AND operation. And we will most likely
> > end up hardcoding all this. I think slowly this is getting complicated
> > and as people add more complex rules things can quickly get out of hand.
> >
> > I am wondering that why are we trying to make multiple policies work
> > together. Can we try to keep it simple and say that at one point of
> > time only one policy can be effective. It could either be a built in
> > policy or user defined one. In fact that's how things are working right now.
> > User defined policy replaces built-in policy.
> >
> > For the sake of backward compatibility "ima_tcb" and "ima_appraise_tcb"
> > can co-exist together (like today). But ima_secureboot_policy will not
> > be compatible with other policies. I understand that there might be a
> > desire to use multiple policies together down the line, but I guess in
> > that case policies need to specified using "policy" interface. And
> > ima_secureboot will be odd man out here as it can not trust the root
> > to specify policy. So practically ima_secureboot will be disabled.
> >
> > We just have to provide an IMA interface so that caller can query what's
> > the effective policy currently. Say, IMA_POLICY_SECUREBOOT,
> > IMA_POLICY_TCB, or IMA_POLICY_USER. Caller of the bprm_check() or
> > bprm_post_load() can also check for current policy in force and give
> > CAP_SIGNED only if desired policy is in effect.
> >
> > This reduces our options but trying to make multiple policies co-exist
> > together is just making it complicated. We can take it up again when
> > somebody has a strong use case of using secureboot policy along with
> > other policies. In fact a user can still define a custom policy which
> > is mix of multiple policies. Just that it is not compatible with
> > "secureboot" policy because for that we can't trust "root" to define
> > policy.
>
> Let me get this straight. You're suggesting that distros/users will
> need to make a Kconfig build decision of enabling secureboot, including
> the secureboot built-in policy, or be allowed to enable other integrity
> policies. If RH enables secureboot, then no other integrity policy will
> be permitted. Is that what you're saying, and if so, why would I agree
> to this?

I was thinking more in terms of being able to disable a policy based on
command line option. So a policy gets compiled in based on config options
and then one should be able to disable that policy. For case of
secureboot, policy will be disabled only if secureboot is not enabled
in the platform.

I am just brain storming and throwing some ideas and see if soemthing
makes sense. I agree that allowing one policy only makes it very
restrictive (while simplifying the implementation).

Thanks
Vivek

  Last update: 2013-03-04 21:04    [W:2.383 / U:0.584 seconds]