SubjectRe: [RFC V1 0/8] Add a driver for somagic smi2021
On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 03:06:56PM +0100, Jon Arne Jørgensen wrote:
> This patch-set will add a driver for the Somagic SMI2021 chip.
>
> This chip is found inside different usb video-capture devices.
> Most of them are branded as EasyCap, but there also seems to be
> some other brands selling devices with this chip.
>
> This driver is split into two modules, where one is called smi2021-bootloader,
> and the other is just called smi2021.
>
> The bootloader is responsible for the upload of a firmware that is needed by some
> versions of the devices.
>
> All Somagic devices that need firmware seems to identify themselves
> with the usb product id 0x0007. There is no way for the kernel to know
> what firmware to upload to the device without user interaction.
>
> If there is only one firmware present on the computer, the kernel
> will upload that firmware to any device that identifies as 0x0007.
> If there are multiple Somagic firmwares present, the user will have to pass
> a module parameter to the smi2021-bootloader module to tell what firmware to use.

Nice job!

I have some minor comments on each patch, but also I don't agree
with the patch splitting: what's the point in splitting and sending
one patch per file?

It doesn't make it any easier to review, so why don't you just
send one patch: "Introduce smi2021 driver"?

The rule is one patch per change, and I believe this whole patchset
is just one change: adding a new driver.

--
Ezequiel García, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android Engineering