SubjectRe: CLONE_NEWUSER|CLONE_FS root exploit
Andy Lutomirski <luto@amacapital.net> writes:

> On 03/13/2013 11:35 AM, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>> Kees Cook <keescook-F7+t8E8rja9g9hUCZPvPmw@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It seem like we should block (at least) this combination. On 3.9, this
>>> exploit works once uidmapping is added.
>>>
>>> http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2013/03/13/10
>>
>> Yes. That is a bad combination. It let's chroot confuse privileged
>> processes.
>>
>> Now to figure out if this is easier to squash by adding a user_namespace
>> to fs_struct or by just forbidding this combination.
>
> It's worth making sure that setns(2) doesn't have similar issues.

setns(2) and unshare(2) are done and merged. See commit.

commit e66eded8309ebf679d3d3c1f5820d1f2ca332c71
Author: Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm@xmission.com>
Date: Wed Mar 13 11:51:49 2013 -0700

userns: Don't allow CLONE_NEWUSER | CLONE_FS

> Looking through other shared-but-not-a-namespace things, there are:
>
> fs_struct: Buggy as noted.
>
> files_struct: Probably harmless -- SCM_RIGHTS can emulate it
>
> signal_struct: This interacts with the tty code. Is it okay?

It should be. The tty code is heavily pid based, and CLONE_NEWPID
requires !CLONE_VM (which implies !CLONE_SIGHAND and !CLONE_VM).

> sighand_struct: Looks safe. Famous last words.
>
> FWIW, I've been alarmed in the past that struct path (e.g. the root
> directory) implies an mnt_namespace (hidden in struct mount), and it's
> entirely possible for the root directory's mnt_namespace not to match
> nsproxy->mnt_namespace. I'm not sure what the implications are, but
> this doesn't seem healthy.

The calls to check_mnt prevent abuse of the files found with fs_struct
not matching the current mount namespace.

static inline int check_mnt(struct mount *mnt)
{
return mnt->mnt_ns == current->nsproxy->mnt_ns;
}

Thanks for looking I know I did the same double take and wondered if I
had missed anything else by accident when this bug showed up.

So far even just looking it all over again I can't see anything. But I
have clearly been blind before.

Eric

  Last update: 2013-03-14 22:23    [W:0.192 / U:0.040 seconds]