SubjectRe: kvmtool tree (Was: Re: [patch] config: fix make kvmconfig)

* Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> Hi David,

> > > Applied, thanks guys!
> >
> > Adding Stephen to the cc.
> >
> > What's the endgame for kvmtool/next? The patch that this fixes has been
> > sitting in linux-next for over 15 months and hasn't been pulled by Linus,
> > yet some find it to be quite useful.
> >
> > Is it a permanent addition to linux-next, is there a route to mainline,
> > or something else?
>
> Linus has said that he will not take the kvmtool tree in its
> current form, but would prefer that it be a separate project,
> so I should really drop it from linux-next (and ask the tip
> guys to remove it from their auto-latest branch).
>
> I have actually been meaning to get back to this, so, today I
> will drop the kvmtool tree and, Ingo, if you could (at your
> convenience i.e. when you are next rebasing it) remove it from
> tip/auto-latest, thanks.

Pekka still intends to send it in the next merge window AFAIK,
and I use it for testing rather frequently so I'm not going to
remove it from my tree for the time being.

Note that I never actually had any maintenance problems due to
it: it's orthogonal, and as long as you don't use it explicitly
(such as its 'make kvmconfig' feature - which is rather handy)
it never actually broke anything.

Thanks,

Ingo

  Last update: 2013-02-07 00:03    [W:0.146 / U:0.168 seconds]