SubjectRe: Question on lockdep and MAX_LOCK_DEPTH
On 02/05/2013 05:54 PM, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> I'm not sure the swapper task is part of the 'do_each_thread()' loop.
>
> Perhaps what you want to do is add a:
>
> lockdep_print_held_locks(current);

I'll add that and test...

> I'm curious. Does your code grab a read lock? If you grab the same read
> lock multiple times it adds to the list each time. Thus if you have
> anything like:
>
> for (i = 0; i < 100; i++ ) {
> read_lock(&lock);
> }
>
> for (i = 0; i < 100; i++) {
> read_unlock(&lock);
> }
>
> That will fill up the held locks quite a bit.
>
> The above code I showed is ridiculous and I doubt you have it, but if
> you have something that does lots of recursive reads for some reason,
> that could be an issue.

I have only one read/write lock in my module, and it looks like
I always lock it as a writer (will fix that soon for performance
reasons, but it should be valid locking I think).

I have no rcu locks at all in my module currently.

I've seen similar lockups on another machine that does not use
this module, but it uses a hacked up pktgen. I haven't found
a test case that reproduces this on a clean upstream build,
but I am still fairly suspicious that it isn't my code.
Famous last words I'm sure :)

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>

  Last update: 2013-02-06 04:01    [W:0.169 / U:1.304 seconds]