SubjectRe: [RFC] perf: need to expose sched_clock to correlate user samples with kernel samples
On 02/05/2013 02:13 PM, Stephane Eranian wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Pawel Moll <pawel.moll@arm.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'd like to revive the topic...

>>> You forgot to CC the time people ;-)
>>>
>>> I've no problem with adding CLOCK_PERF (or another/better name).
>>>
>>> Thomas, John?
>> I've just faced the same issue - correlating an event in userspace with
>> data from the perf stream, but to my mind what I want to get is a value
>> returned by perf_clock() _in the current "session" context_.
>>
>> Stephane didn't like the idea of opening a "fake" perf descriptor in
>> order to get the timestamp, but surely one must have the "session"
>> already running to be interested in such data in the first place? So I
>> think the ioctl() idea is not out of place here... How about the simple
>> change below?
>>
> The app requesting the timestamp may not necessarily have an active
> perf session. And by that I mean, it may not be self-monitoring. But it
> could be monitored by an external tool such as perf, without necessary
> knowing it.
>
> The timestamp is global or at least per-cpu. It is not tied to a particular
> active event.
>
> The thing I did not like about ioctl() is that it now means that the app
> needs to become a user of the perf_event API. It needs to program
> a dummy event just to get a timestamp. As opposed to just calling
> a clock_gettime(CLOCK_PERF) function which guarantees a clock
> source identical to that used by perf_events. In that case, the app
> timestamps its events in such a way that if it was monitored externally,
> that external tool would be able to correlate all the samples because they
> would all have the same time source.
>
> But if people are strongly opposed to the clock_gettime() approach, then
> I can go with the ioctl() because the functionality is definitively needed
> ASAP.

I prefer the ioctl method, since its less likely to be re-purposed/misused.

Though I'd be most comfortable with finding some way for perf-timestamps
to be CLOCK_MONOTONIC based (or maybe CLOCK_MONOTONIC_RAW if it would be
easier), and just avoid all together adding another time domain that
doesn't really have clear definition (other then "what perf uses").

thanks
-john

  Last update: 2013-02-06 00:22    [W:0.319 / U:0.120 seconds]