SubjectRe: [patch] mm, show_mem: suppress page counts in non-blockable contexts
On Wed, 27 Feb 2013, Michal Hocko wrote:

> But we are trying to prevent from soft lockups by calling
> touch_nmi_watchdog every now when iterating over pages so the lock up
> detector shouldn't trigger.
>
> Anyway, I think that the additional information (which can be really
> costly as you are describing) is not that useful. Most of the useful
> information is already printed by show_free_areas. Or does it help when
> we know how much memory is shared/reserved/etc. when the allocation
> fails?

I do not think it is helpful since show_free_areas() already shows all
pertinent information, and hence I'm suppressing it in atomic contexts in
this patch.

> So I do agree with the dropping the additional information for the
> allocation failure path (sysrq+m might still show it) but I fail to see
> how the lockup detector plays any role here. Can we just drop it because
> it is not that interesting and it is costly so it is not worth
> bothering?

I would agree it is not interesting to debugging VM issues and is
obviously very expensive.

  Last update: 2013-02-27 23:41    [W:0.048 / U:1.376 seconds]