SubjectRe: [patch 9/9] mm: keep page cache radix tree nodes in check
On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 06:00:10PM -0500, Johannes Weiner wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 09:29:37AM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:

> > > It's measurable in microbenchmarks, but not when any real IO is
> > > involved. The difference was in the noise even on SSD drives.
> >
> > Well, it's not an SSD or two I'm worried about - it's devices that
> > can do millions of IOPS where this is likely to be noticable...
> >
> > > The other list_lru users see items only once they become unused and
> > > subsequent references are expected to be few and temporary, right?
> >
> > They go onto the list when the refcount falls to zero, but reuse can
> > be frequent when being referenced repeatedly by a single user. That
> > avoids every reuse from removing the object from the LRU then
> > putting it back on the LRU for every reference cycle...
>
> That's true, but it's less of a concern in the radix_tree_node case
> because it takes a full inactive list cycle after a refault before the
> node is put back on the LRU. Or a really unlikely placed partial node
> truncation/invalidation (full truncation would just delete the whole
> node anyway).

OK, fair enough. We can deal with the problem if we see it being a
limitation.

> > > We expect pages to refault in spades on certain loads, at which point
> > > we may have thousands of those nodes on the list that are no longer
> > > reclaimable (10k nodes for about 2.5G of cache).
> >
> > Sure, look at the way the inode and dentry caches work - entire
> > caches of millions of inodes and dentries often sit on the LRUs. A
> > quick look at my workstations dentry cache shows:
> >
> > $ at /proc/sys/fs/dentry-state
> > 180108 170596 45 0 0 0
> >
> > 180k allocated dentries, 170k sitting on the LRU...
>
> Hm, and a significant amount of those 170k could rotate on the next
> shrinker scan due to recent references or do you generally have
> smaller spikes?

I see very little dentry/inode reclaim because the shrinker tends to
skip most inodes and dentries because they have the referenced bit
set on them whenever the shrinker runs. i.e. that's the working set,
and it gets maintained pretty well...

> But as per above I think the case for lazily removing shadow nodes is
> less convincing than for inodes and dentries.

Agreed.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner
david@fromorbit.com

  Last update: 2013-11-27 05:21    [W:0.049 / U:0.800 seconds]