SubjectRe: WTF: driver-core-next contains recursive directory removal!
[+cc linux-pci]

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 4:38 PM, Eric W. Biederman
<ebiederm@xmission.com> wrote:

> Greg what is going on? I just looked and Tejuns ill-conceived recursive
> directory deletion code has been merged into your driver-core-next tree.
>
> That code is semantically broken. I reviewed it and I gave the reasons
> why it was wrong. You came up to me and mentioned at LPC that you
> agreed with my reasons. And yet I just looked in driver-core-next and
> there the code is in all of it's broken glory.
>
> Please pull out that crap it has no business ever going into a stable
> kernel.
>
> The short version is unless someone has drastically changed pci hotplug
> since last time I looked the code is dramatically wrong as pci hotplug
> removes directories in the wrong order remove the parent first.

Can you please elaborate on exactly where PCI hotplug removes things
in the wrong order? We are struggling with many issues in PCI
removal, and if you can help us fix them by pointing out an issue,
that would be great.

I did work through removal of a small tree [1], and it appeared to me
that we removed sysfs things in bottom-up order, but maybe I missed
something or you're talking about a different situation.

Thanks,
Bjorn

[1] http://lkml.kernel.org/r/CAErSpo6g5vR0NMs18YZBz+6RGZd0zNeDu_=1Pk4c5a+OqHfS1g@mail.gmail.com