SubjectRe: Use of drivers/platform and matching include?

On Oct 3, 2013, at 10:27 AM, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 03, 2013 at 09:45:38AM -0500, Kumar Gala wrote:
>> As we look at upstreaming more support for the Qualcomm MSM SoCs there
>> are a number of drivers or library like routines that are unique to
>> the MSM platform, we are thinking that putting them under:
>>
>> drivers/platform/qcom/
>
> What type of drivers are these? Shouldn't they really go under the
> specific driver type directory instead?

If there isn't an existing driver/ dir for this I dont see how it can go there, I'm not also not really a fan of trying to artificial put something that is highly SoC specific into something generic of this nature.

>> would make sense. In addition there are headers that might need to
>> get shared with drivers in other locations so I wanted to see what the
>> take was on introducing:
>>
>> include/linux/platform/qcom/
>>
>> An example driver would be the means we utilize to communicate memory
>> regions between various HW blocks on the SoC. So a video/media core
>> driver might need access to a header/functions from the memory region
>> driver.
>
> Isn't there arch-specific include directories already that are good for
> stuff like this?

Well, we expect at some point in needing to share with arm64 as well so that causes issues (one of the reason I'm not a fan of the split between the two arch's).

- k
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum, hosted by The Linux Foundation

  Last update: 2013-10-03 18:41    [W:0.198 / U:0.752 seconds]