SubjectRe: State of "perf: Add a new sort order: SORT_INCLUSIVE"
On 10/28/13 8:11 PM, Namhyung Kim wrote:

Hey Namhyung:

>> Also, what's the reasoning for --cumulate not being an option under
>> perf record -g ..,<order>?
>
> Sorry, I cannot understand you. The 'perf record' just saves sample
> data (and callchains) from the ring-buffer. All the processing happens
> in 'perf report'. I can't see what you expect from the 'perf record
> --cumulate'. Am I missing something?

Yes - I meant to say perf report -g :)

> -g [type,min[,limit],order]

Specifically, along with callee, caller, we could have a third option.
Or we could have a new type (graph, fractal, cumulative).

>> Given that there are clear use cases in production involving complex
>> callgraphs, I'm for getting this support in first and then reconciling
>> the differences with perf record -b later.
>
> I think what Frederic said is that the code de-duplication of 'perf
> report' side. The branch stack and --cumulate are different - branch
> stack concentrates on the branch itself but --cumulate uses callchains
> to find parents and give some credit to them as side information.

Me too. I brought it up with Stephane at some point in the last year or
so and there wasn't an obvious way to de-duplicate because of these
differences.

-Arun

  Last update: 2013-10-29 05:41    [W:0.065 / U:0.400 seconds]