SubjectRe: [libseccomp-discuss] ARM seccomp filters and EABI/OABI
Date
On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 02:02:00 PM Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> I'm looking at the seccomp code, the ARM entry code, and the
> syscall(2) manpage, and I'm a bit lost. (The fact that I don't really
> speak ARM assembly doesn't help.)

I suspect Kees, and perhaps Will, will be able to provide the best answers,
but my thoughts are below.

> My basic question is: what happens if an OABI syscall happens?

Well, libseccomp doesn't support ARM OABI and since all the new ARM stuff is
EABI I don't think there is much reason to worry about OABI. I know this
doesn't answer your question, but perhaps this provides some context.

> AFAICS, the syscall arguments for EABI are r0..r5, although their
> ordering is a bit odd*.

Hmmm, that could complicate things a bit - do you know if they are put in a
more "standard" order by the time they are accessed in seccomp_bpf_load() via
task_pt_regs()? If not, we likely need to come up with some special handling
in libseccomp to account for this.

> For OABI, r6 seems to play some role, but I'm
> lost as to what it is. The seccomp_bpf_load function won't load r6,
> so there had better not be anything useful in there... (Also, struct
> seccomp_data will have issues with a seventh "argument".)
>
> But what happens to the syscall number? For an EABI syscall, it's in
> r7. For an OABI syscall, it's in the swi instruction and gets copied
> to r7 on entry. If a debugger changes r7, presumably the syscall
> number changes.
>
> Oddly, there are two different syscall tables. The major differences
> seem to be that some of the OABI entries have their argument order
> changed. But there's also a magic constant 0x900000 added to the
> syscall number somewhere -- is it reflected in _sigsys._syscall? Is
> it reflected in ucontext's r7?

Thankfully, I've been able to ignore most of this.

> I'm a bit surprised to see that both the EABI and OABI ABIs show up as
> AUDIT_ARCH_ARM.

Yeah, the usage of AUDIT_ARCH_* is not really ideal for seccomp. There are
similar issues with x32; not quite as bad as with ARM, but still ...

> Can any of you shed some light on this? I don't have an ARM system I
> can test on, but if one of you can point me at a decent QEMU image, I
> can play around.

I know Kees had one at one point, although I remember him commenting that it
was painfully slow under QEMU.

--
paul moore
security and virtualization @ redhat

  Last update: 2013-10-24 21:21    [W:0.168 / U:0.476 seconds]