SubjectRe: RFC: (re-)binding the VFIO platform driver to a platform device
On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 01:39:43PM -0700, gregkh@linuxfoundation.org wrote:

> > > The flag (and wildcard match, if applicable) would be set by the driver,
> > > not by the user. Whereas PCI's "new_id" and the "new_compatible" being
> > > suggested in this thread would allow exactly that, assuming the driver
> > > doesn't reject the device in the probe function.
> > >
> > ok, fair enough, but still, I don't see the _generic_ need for having a
> > kernel feature that allows some random driver to bind to a device, but
> > then again, I'm not an authority in this area.
>
> Again, this is already there, and has been for years with no problems,
> so I really don't understand the issue you have with it.

As I said, I'm not an authority, just sounded to me like we were trying
to build something very generic to solve a very specific case, but I
certainly don't want to invent problems that don't exist.

-Christoffer

  Last update: 2013-10-02 23:01    [W:0.109 / U:1.040 seconds]