SubjectRe: PROBLEM: special sense code asc,ascq=04h,0Ch abort scsi scan in the middle

On 2013年10月14日 21:18, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
> On 10/14/2013 02:51 PM, Steffen Maier wrote:
>> Hi Hannes,

>>> Yes, this is correct. 'REPORT LUNS' is supported in 'Unavailable' state.

>>> Hmm. Yes, and no.
>>>
>>> _Actually_ this is an issue with the target, as it looks as if it
>>> will return the above sense code while sending an 'INQUIRY' to the
>>> device.
>>> SPC explicitely states that the INQUIRY command should _not_ fail
>>> for unavailable devices.
>>> But yeah, we probably should work around this issues.
>>> Nevertheless, please raise this issue with your array vendor.
>>>
>>> Please try the attached patch.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Hannes
>>>
>> In LLDDs that do their own initiator based LUN masking (because the midlayer does not have this
>> functionality to enable hardware virtualization without NPIV, or
> to work around suboptimal LUN
>> masking on the target), they are likely to return -ENXIO from
> slave_alloc(), making scsi_alloc_sdev()
>> return NULL, being converted to SCSI_SCAN_NO_RESPONSE by
> scsi_probe_and_add_lun() and thus going
>> through the same code path above.
>>
> Ah. Hmm. Yes, they would.
>
> However, I personally would question this approach, as SPC states that
>
>> The REPORT LUNS command (see table 284) requests the device
>> server to return the peripheral device logical unit inventory
>> accessible to the I_T nexus.
> So by plain reading this would meant that you either should modify
> 'REPORT LUNS' to not show the masked LUNs,
I have the same question. If you don't want us use them, why still you
present them in response to REPORT_LUN?
Since you report it in REPORT_LUN, I suppose the target server at least
hold some information of this lun, so it shouldn't give an error when I
check it? It should give me something to suggest that lun does exist,
though it's not allowed to deal more with it at this time.
Or 'accessible' doesn't mean accessible at this time, but we have rights
to address this LUN in this session? Whether it's online or not depends
on the result of INQUIRY and TEST_UNIT_READY?

> or set the pqual field to
> '0x10' or '0x11' for those LUNs.
Do you mean 001b?
After read the spc4r36g again, I'm confused on the difference between
pqual=000b and 001b.
It seems 000b don't guarantee a lun is connected while 001b indicates a
lun is surely not connected?
Anyone will explain these two questions a bit clearer?

###snippet form spc4
the SCSI target device shall return
the INQUIRY data with the peripheral qualifier set to the value defined
in 6.6.2. The INQUIRY command shall
return CHECK CONDITION status only if the device server is unable to
return the requested INQUIRY data.

Table 175 — PERIPHERAL QUALIFIER field
Qualifier Description
000b A peripheral device having the specified peripheral device type is
connected to this
logical unit. *If the device server is unable to determine whether or
not a peripheral
device is connected, it also shall use this peripheral qualifier. This
peripheral qualifier
does not mean that the peripheral device connected to the logical unit
is ready for
access.*
001b A peripheral device having the specified peripheral device type is
not connected to this
logical unit. However, the device server is capable of supporting the
specified periph-
eral device type on this logical unit. (spc4r36g)
>> E.g. zfcp does return -ENXIO if the particular LUN was not made known to the unit whitelist
>> (via zfcp sysfs attribute unit_add).
>> If we attach LUN 0 (via unit_add) and trigger a target scan with SCAN_WILD_CARD for the scsi
>> lun (e.g. on remote port recovery), we see exactly above error message for the first LUN in
>> the response of report lun which is not explicitly attached to zfcp.
>> IIRC, other LLDDs such as bfa also do similar stuff [http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=134489842105383&w=2].
>>
>> For those cases, I think it makes sense to abort scsi_report_lun_scan().
>> Otherwise we would force the LLDD to return -ENXIO for every single LUN reported by report lun but not
>> explicitly added to the LLDD LUN whitelist; and this would likely *flood kernel messages*.
To Steffen,
It acts like scsi_sequential_lun_scan().
* Generally, scan from LUN 1 (LUN 0 is assumed to already have been
* scanned) to some maximum lun until a LUN is found with no device
* attached.
But is there case where a lun in the middle is indeed broken, but others
following are fine, which worths a tolerate?
Never happen?

Vaughan