SubjectRe: sysfs for my chips
From
On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 11:30 PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt
<benh@kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-10-10 at 22:26 +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>> > This is not CPUs. CPUs are threads really. Even if they were cores,
>> that
>> > still wouldn't cut it. I'm looking at chips here and not all of them
>> > actually processor chips. The SCOM bus address space is global to a
>> > physical chip and allows to access various resources that are only
>> > remotely related to the cores on it.
>>
>> What about a "bus" for the sideband bus? That allows to decouple it
>> from cores, and allows to support non-processor chips, too?
>
> Not sure what you mean .... create a linux bus type with devices on
> it ?

Yes, that's what I meant.

From the nodes on that bus you can have symlinks in sysfs to e.g. the CPUs
in the rest of the sysfs tree.

It's a bit like smbus/i2c connecting various peripherals that may also be
connected in some other way (e.g. media devices).

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds

  Last update: 2013-10-11 09:21    [W:0.692 / U:0.020 seconds]